Tuesday, January 24, 2012

I Reykjavkurborg - My Hometown - Kiitos sulle

With this finnpick I want to thank you all 200-300 regulars who have visited this blog on daily basis. Added up with those random visitors we have come up to about 120000 visits from 132 countries during blog lifetime.
This finnpick is called "Kiitos sulle" (Thank you) and it was recorded by Armi Aavikko in 1981 to the Finnish lyrics by Raul Reiman. This song will also be the first (and only) cover of an Icelandic song presented here. The original title was "I Reykjavkurborg" and it was composed by Icelandic pop singer Johann Helgason and tells about Reykjavik, the capital of Iceland. It was performed by Johann himself and Helga Möller under the moniker Du og Eg (You and I). The discofied song became a hit in Iceland and also in Europe when covered in English by Judy Jackson. Judy's version was perhaps the one that inspired Armi. 

Only 7 Finnpicks to go.

Here's the triplet:

No comments: