Monday, November 9, 2009

My Boy Lollypop - My boy lollipop


On the flipside of yesterday's Finnpick by Marion was "My boy lollipop". Instead of that we present a rare version of the song by Laila Kinnunen (see earlier entry) recorded in 1965, but only just recently released. The original "My Boy Lollipop" was written in the 50's and was originally recorded by an American singer Barbie Gaye (only 15 year old at the time). It became a minor r&b -hit in late 1956, with spelling "My Boy Lollypop" used. Of course the most famous version is the one recorded in 1964 by Jamaican singer Millie Small. Millie's version was recorded in a ska/bluebeat-style and this is considered to have been the first international ska hit. We present here the rarely heard original r&b -version. However, you can see Millie Small perform the song in TV, here.

Here's the pair:

No comments: